5 Tips for a Stress Free School Run

So after a brilliant Christmas, back to school is looming! Gone are our lovely long pyjama days and stress free mornings and its back to the usual morning chaos! In a bid to make our mornings more manageable and to keep up with my 2019 resolution of being more organised, Im sharing my top 5 tips for a stress free school run!

Sunday Uniform and PE Kit Planning

With three children, school uniform and PE kits take quite a bit of sorting so Sunday afternoons for me are all about organising this for the week ahead. I put out 3 piles of enough underpants, socks, shirts, trousers etc for the week and give them to each of the boys so that they can easily get to their clean uniform each morning. They each have a shelf in their wardrobes just for this and it honestly makes life so much easier. I also put their clean PE kits into their own bags and hang it on the back of their door so that they can get to it easily although for some reason we still always seem to leave it behind at least once a week!

Pack school lunches the night before

This sounds quite simple, but after a long busy day at work, I never seem to have the energy but this really does add to the morning chaos. On more than one occasion, Ive had to come back home to collect the lunch I’d forgotten to make. Now, before I sit down for the evening, I make sure the lunches are made and in the fridge ready for morning.

Wake Up Routine

I am not a morning person and usually take any opportunity to snooze my alarm until the latest possible second which often means I am running around like a lunatic trying to get myself ready, never mind the boys! I recently invested in the Philips Wake Up Light Alarm Clock which switches on a soft light half an hour before your alarm goes off and it has helped massively with me waking up more spritely. I now religioulsy wake up half an hour before the boys get up to give myself time to get up and have a cup of tea before chaos ensues.

Rules and Rewards

As my ‘younger’ boys always wake up really early, they used to go downstairs and put the TV on for an hour before getting ready for school. However, I learnt the hard way that this is a recipe for disaster as it seems to make them more sleepy in the morning and its near impossible to drag them away from it to get them ready. We now have a total TV ban in the mornings and we use ‘time on the XBox’ as bribery /rewards.  The routine is now that the boys eat breakfast, get dressed, bags ready at the front door and if this is done without too much drama, they can earn addtional Xbox time for the weekend. This seems to be working better for us although we always have some sort of drama and trying to get them out of the shower is my next challenge!

A Family Calendar

This one is a must have for any busy family! We have a weekly calendar pinned up in the kitchen and we mark on there when homework is due, what days there are afterschool clubs, meetings etc and who is doing the school run as this varies for us. This not only helps me to be more oragnised but its a really easy way for the boys to check what they need for the day.  Here is a link to the one we use..‘Mums Family Calendar’

None of the tips above are anything new, but just simple changes for us have helped massively in us getting out of the house with ‘sort of’ smiling children and a ‘sort of’ sane parent!

Read more from me…

23 Comments

1. Kendra Lucas
    January 4, 2019 / 10:37 pm

I enjoyed reading your post! Grad school starts back for me on Monday, and I am ready to get it over with. These tips are great for us scholars who are dreading going back. I have to work on my morning routine. Thank you!

• January 4, 2019 / 10:50 pm

Good luck with your return to school xx

2. January 8, 2019 / 8:30 am

Some great tips school Run can be so stressful #triumphanttales

3. January 8, 2019 / 10:00 am

I have always found preparing is key to help reduce the stress. Great tips X #triumphanttales

• January 8, 2019 / 10:17 am

Thanks Sam! Prepping is defiantely the key!

4. January 8, 2019 / 10:20 am

These are great tips and gets me prepared for next September – how can time be flying so fast!!!
    Thank you for sharing this with us at #Triumphanttales. I hope to see you back next week!

• January 8, 2019 / 10:52 am

I agree, time is whizzing by!!
      Thanks so much – Ill be back for sure!

5. January 8, 2019 / 2:25 pm

This is one of my goals for the year. Be more organised !! There shall be not one lunch , pe kit or bookbag left behind…..probably #blogcrush

6. January 11, 2019 / 7:08 am

Back to school is not until end Jan for us in NZ. Hope it goes well for you. #Blogcrush

7. January 11, 2019 / 11:32 am

Great back to school tips! Like you, we also keep a family calendar. We have a magnetic one that we can write on. My three-year-old can see which days are for school. I try to wake up early to help prep the little one and it really isn’t easy! However on days when I wake up early, I feel a lot better because I get more done. I need to be more consistent. Good idea to place the bookbag by the door/ hooked behind it! There was a time when we left the bookbag at home! #BlogCrush

• January 11, 2019 / 1:03 pm

Thanks! It does help to wake up earlier doesnt it but I agree – its definatley not easy! Im not a morning person haha!

8. Ian Northeast
    January 11, 2019 / 6:32 pm

Loved reading this, I am a single parent to 3 kids and it has taken me 7 years to sort out my our morning routine (randomly I just posted about it over on my blog) #BlogCrush

• January 11, 2019 / 6:46 pm

Aw its not easy is it?! Ill definately check out your tips!!

9. January 11, 2019 / 7:42 pm

Oh my goodness, all great tips and a few I’ve not tried, I have a son with autism so am always looking for ideas on how to make the school preparation far less stressful.

10. January 12, 2019 / 5:28 am

These are great ideas! I pack Hubster’s lunch the night before, that way he takes one to work. #BlogCrush

• January 12, 2019 / 9:53 am

Thanks! Its just remembering it then in the morning for me! haha xx

11. January 13, 2019 / 9:15 pm

Great tips! We also ban the TV in the mornings as it would be a nightmare to get them out on time! I have just had to invest in a family planner to fit everything in #TriumphantTales

12. Lucy At Home
    January 17, 2019 / 10:44 am

Lots of great tips here! It took me a while to get into the habit of making lunches the night before, but it really does make such a difference and I always do it now. And, similarly to you, we have set our smart bulbs to gentle phase in over 30mins to wake us up in the morning – it’s amazing how much easier it is to get up when the light is on! #blogcrush

13. mackenzieglanville
    January 17, 2019 / 11:32 am

My kids are night owls, so no matter how much we prepare it is just hard to get them up and motivated, thanks for the tips #BlogCrush

14. January 19, 2019 / 4:58 pm

Great tips! And I can see how TV in the morning can be a vortex to getting nothing done. We do something similar where a movie or the iPad is the after school treat on a Friday/weekend… if the rest of the week has gone well that is 😉 Thanks for joining us for the #dreamteam

15. January 20, 2019 / 9:41 pm

Great tips, and I totally agree with having them organised before playing #dreamteam

16. January 21, 2019 / 11:56 am

I have the family calendar still even though the last school run I did was in 2013. This are good tips also to use when you’re working or have regular activities to attend #blogcrush